Located just north of the three blocks of the mountain range, the Benedict-Miller House, the visual hub of this historic district, is perfectly located from the Green City of Whitecourt, Connecticut. The three-storey colored house is built on a monumental scale with many doors, criss-cross diagonals and ornate wooden case details. It was built in 1879 by Charles Benedict, whose company was then the largest manufacturer of brass equipment and appliances in America, as well as the Mayor of Waterbury.
Benedict-Miller House is a Queen Anne / Stick style mansion designed by Palliser, Palliser & Co, an architectural firm specializing in Gothic and Queen Anne cottages and designed several houses by P.T. Charging: The view of the southern hill opens to the town of Watbury and the valley of Naugatuk with many large mature maple trees and greenery crowned by its hilltop.
Benedict-Miller's front facade with its multiple gables, railings and woodwork dominates the use of contrasting colors, materials and free-flowing asymmetrical design. The three-storey property has eighteen projected panels that rise steep peaks as well as four chimneys, giving the Benedict-Miller House a strong vertical and increasing quality with a well-integrated design implemented on a massive scale.
One of the most sophisticated homes built by Palliser, Palliser & Co, the Benedict-Miller House helped popularize America's popular books published in the late 19th century. George Palliser was an English builder who came to Bridgeport in 1873 to make well-designed and well-built homes accessible to people who could not afford to hire an architect. Palliser came up with the idea of selling price plans depending on their size and finish, as well as tips on plumbing, paint and appliances.
Although the home of Benedict-Miller was one of the most complex homes in Palliser, Palliser and Co, it gained state attention during its construction for its "smart" new aesthetics stimulated by architects. The first story consists mainly of pressed red brick and terra cotta, which contrast the color and texture of the upper stories, which was a common feature of Anne Queen's architectural style. The second story is vertical and horizontal boards, which are structural members of the home circle. The third story is sparkling wood beetles, depicted in woodworking bricks, creating a home rich in details and contrasting colors.
However, shortly after its completion, Charles Benedict died in 1881 after a sudden death. Upon returning from a trip to England, his records show that he may not have finished moving to a new home. His married daughter and his widow moved home.
In 1889 the property was divided and the house sold to Charles Miller, President of Miller and Peki, a retailer specializing in dry goods and carpets.
The city of Watbury acquired the Benedict-Miller House in 1942 to provide a permanent university in the city and to encourage the University of Connecticut to stay in Whitbury. From 1955 to 2002, the administrative and faculty offices of the University of Connecticut's Watbury Camp were sold to Yeshiva Gedolah, an Orthodox Jewish school.
Its massive scale and the three blocks of the mountain range from the city of Whitbury make the Benedict-Miller House of Waterbury, one of Connecticut's most important historic homes, green.