One of Stamford Connecticut's most beautiful historic homes is the Marion Castle, built in 1914 by Frank Marion, one of the pioneers of the first early movement paintings. Shipan Pint, located on this stunning splendor of Nefronian Renaissance on One Rogers Road, exemplifies the era of Stamford's emergence in the early 19's from the peasant community to the full-time residence of wealthy New York families.
Marion Castle was built by one of the first genuine filmmakers, Frank Marion, whose Kalem Company produced the earliest single relays shown in nickelodeon and silent theaters around the country. His first big hit in 1907 was Ben Hur, fifteen minutes long, focusing mainly on the chariot race. The film was shot by firefighters on the beach as actors using the horses that usually drove fire wagons by pulling carriages.
Ben Hur was one of the most popular novels of his day, and the film immediately succeeded. Frank Marion has proven that he is not only good business but also social conscious when the daily wage of actors makes five dollars a day, forcing the rest of the emerging motion picture industry to do the same.
However, Marion was the key to everything that was developing technology at the time. Ben Hurey's publishing and property company took the company all the way to the US Supreme Court and upheld the first copyright case, which, although the film focused solely on the racing of the carriages, which was a very short part of the book, the filmmakers first had to get a print job before that work. based on film making.
Undaunted, Marion's Kalem Company has prepared a shooting story for the next time, sending crew to Ireland in 1910 to make what was the first American film to be shot outside the United States. Two years later, he sent a camera to Palestine, where he shot "From Mulberry to Cross."
These films were very successful, he sold the company ten years later in the film business and built Marion Castle as his retirement home for the enjoyment of his wife, son and four daughters.
The Marion Castle was designed in the style of the French Renaissance by the renowned Hunt & Hunt Architectural Company of New York, who practiced this style in the very popular Fifth Avenue in the early part of the century. Marion Castle is an integral part of several castles in the Loire Valley.
It features a steep roof, like copper clamps rising above the main part of the house. The front face has large sleeping windows with high pediments bordering the fins. The seaside wing, which stands on the seafront, has a large triple window with molding and transom and gradual steps.
On the north side of the house, a long semi-inflatable peripheral projecting from the main wall leading to the main wall leading to a circular turret, giving it its distinctive "castle" appearance. The interior comprises the main hall of the balcony and nearly thirty additional rooms of different sizes and uses.
Frank Marion built and occupied Marion Castle until his death in 1963. The property was subsequently sold to Martha and David Kogan, an inventor and leader in radio and television development who helped develop the first color television. Martha was well known and respected for saving many of Hitler's children during World War II.
In 1978 Kob E Cobrin and Gordon Mikunis bought Marion Castle and were very influential in putting it in 1982 in the National Register of Historic Places, the only structure in Stamford's Shippan register included in the register.
Since 1998, Marion's Castle has been owned and owned by the famous Stamford real estate developer Thomas L. Mitchell. Richie. Mr Rich has allowed the home to be widely used for non-commercial events such as the annual Shippan Point Association's party.
Today, Frank Marion's beautiful historic waterfront home is one of Stamford CT's most unique sites. As one of the few new civic-minded entrepreneurs, Marion Castle remains at the heart of the city's important community and social events.